Samuel Provost 1720 - 1767
Birth: 1720 Parson Drove CAM ENG
- Baptised 24 April 1720, Parson Drove, CAM, ENG
- 'Samuel, Son of Abraham Provost'
- Source: microfilm of Parson Drove General register, viewed at Cambridge Record Office by Andrew Preece
Death: April 1767 Thorney CAM ENG
- Buried April 13, 1767, Thorney Abbey, CAM, ENG
- Percy Capps Elston reported on his gravestone:
- He was aged 48 when he died (or in his 48th year)
- shared with Mary Nightingale, aged 88, who died in 1767 too (possibly Mary Flahau?)
- The burial of a Mary Knightingale is recorded in the Thorney Parish register on November 19 1767
- Source: Thorney Parish register original viewed at Cambridge CRO by Andrew Preece - ref P155/1/3
Father: Abraham Provost
Mother: Mary Flahau
Siblings:More details of this family
Wife: Susannah Designe
Marriage: 26 September 1763 Thorney Abbey CAM ENG
- by Licence
- Samuel Provost, of this parish
- Susannah Designe of the parish of Wapload (Whapload Drove?)
- both left their mark
- witnesses: Wm Parker, Sam Beekon, who both signed
- Source: Thorney Parish register; original at Cambridge RO - ref P155/1/10
Children:More details of this family
Samuel died without leaving a will. In the subsequent probate, Susannah Designe got everything. An inventory was done that valued Samuel's estate at £513 10s - the bulk of which was made up of livestock.
- Samuel rented 40 acres Little Knarr Fen from 1759 onwards
- Samuel rented land at North Fen from at least 1756
- Samuel's total rent was £106 per annum
- Farmhouse etc at French Drove, 151 acres
- In Little Knarr Fen 40 acres 16p
- All Samuel's land was "Drowned in the Breach of the North Bank"
- "This Tenant has always paid his rent very well & desires to contine the farm"